Saturday, December 3, 2011

It Takes A Village

Hillary Clinton says it takes a village to raise a child.  I'm not a big fan of hers but in this case, I have to agree.  My family belongs to a couple significant "villages" without which, we would not have made it through the last couple of years.  As members of a family based fire company, an active church family, and a loving circle of family and friends, we have had the support of amazing, self-less individuals.

During the worst times in our lives, our family has had the loving support of an amazing church family.  The Watsontown Baptist Church has a very active prayer support system.  When the prayer chain is activated, you can be sure that people are faithfully, diligently, and lovingly praying for you.  I credit their prayers with healing and restoring countless people, my family included.  There have been times in our life, especially with my youngest son and his developmental/health issues, when I saw no way out.  It was as bad as it could be.  But turning those needs and concerns over to the hands of these faithful believers has resulted in answers to unanswerable moments again and again.  One woman in our church who is on a limited, fixed income, convinced her co-workers to donate money to us for our trip to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to help cover transportation costs.  No one asked her for this.  She did it out of love and concern for our family.  I will never forget her love and generosity.  Those who do not believe would not understand.  For them, I feel sorrow.  To be given answers and support, when before there was none, is unlike anything else.  It is only possible through God and his believers.  In that, I do believe.

We have also been fortunate to be members of a large and very supportive family network.  Both sets of grandparents have been more than willing to take our children for an evening or a weekend when we felt like we were burning our candles at both ends.  My parents who have no experience with asthma or health issues have learned how to give breathing treatments and administer meds.  This is definitely outside their comfort zone as my siblings and I were all fairly healthy kids.  Besides lending a listening ear or wise advise, my in-laws have transported our youngest son to therapy so that we wouldn't have to take more time off work.  They have watched our children when they were sick or school was cancelled, sometimes with very short notice.  My husband's great-aunt, a woman in her seventies, took on the task of taking my very hyper impulsive five year-old to therapy after my father-in-law had his stroke.  No questions asked.  When asked, she said yes.  No problem.   My aunt and her husband who work at John Hopkins have acted as amazing information sources.  They have prayed and worried for us.  Those without a large family network might have found it all overwhelming or even smothering.  Without them, we would not have survived the last five years.

Our neighbors are like family.  They love our children like their own.  If they are outside, it is like an episode of "Dennis the Menace".  The boys see them out and take off on a run to go see them.  Both sets of neighbors are amazing.  They never seem irritated or bothered, just happy to see them and share their company.  If we need a babysitter or someone to get the boys off the bus, they are more than willing to lend a hand.  What wonderful, amazing people. 

We are also fortunate enough to be members of the most supportive, family based volunteer fire company that I have ever had the good fortune to come across.  The members of this fire company love and support each other like a family.  When someone is in trouble, the others rally around with whatever is needed.  Our time at the fire company is some of the rare times when I can let my guard down in regard to watching my youngest child.  When we are there, I know that someone else is watching him in a responsible and caring manner.  They are putting him to work mopping floors, or carrying supplies, or watering flowers.  At the fire hall, he feels like a big boy and no one tells him no he can't do it. 

Two of the daughters of another family from our fire company ride the bus with my two boys.  They are older than my sons by several years.  Without being asked, they took it upon themselves to help keep an eye on my youngest son on the bus.  It has been a God send.  My youngest would not listen to his brother during their half hour/forty-five minute bus ride.  Those two girls took it upon themselves to convince my youngest to sit with one or the other of them because they knew he would listen better to them.  They brought notebooks and markers to entertain him and keep him occupied during the long bus ride.  Candy and other treats have been provided as a reward for having a good trip to/from school.  Other kids on the bus has been encouraged to help get him on the bus since his brother is attending the middle school, while my youngest has just started elementary.  It has truly been a community effort.  These two girls will never know the peace of mind they have provided for me.  I can never thank them enough for the loving support they have provided my son and my family. 

Most of the love and support we have received from others has come without our having asked for it.  My husband and I are very proud people who don't like to ask favors of others.  Time and again, others have helped out, lent a hand, or came through when they were needed.  To those in our "villages", thank you.  We love you.  You will always be in our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment