Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving

The last few months have come with some real challenges.  Throughout that time, we have also been blessed.  It is important to not only face the trials in life, but to also give thanks for the grace and answers to prayer as they are presented.  My youngest son has been one of my greatest teachers of that life lesson.  He faces every challenge with a smile on his face.  He embraces life with one hundred percent enthusiasm. 

I am thankful for modern medicine and access to medical services.  If my youngest son had been born in a different era, or even a different country, I have no doubt he would not have survived to see his eighth birthday.  He had his first ear and respiratory infection when he was only two weeks old.  In his first seven years of life, he has had five different surgical procedures and two sets of stitches.  His asthma has required close monitoring, preventative efforts, and diligent treatment from the very beginning.  Without his daily non-steroidal and asthma relief medicine, he would not be the relatively healthy boy he is today. 

Almost daily, I'm grateful that our oldest son was born first.  He has been such a bright, good natured, kind hearted, EASY child to raise.  If we hadn't had him first, I would probably doubt my parenting choices even more than I already do.  My background and training is in behavior modification and education.  Parenting should be a no brainer.  If I had had our youngest first, I have no doubt I would have torn myself apart with self doubt.  Besides providing a measure of reassurance of our parenting skills, our oldest has also been a huge help with his little brother.  Having his brother in his life has taught him compassion and patience that he might not otherwise have learned at the young age of twelve. 

Because of our son's needs, I am grateful for my education and training.  I originally went to college for early childhood and elementary education.  While at school, I stumbled across a new exceptionalities concentration the university was starting.  I was fortunate to be accepted into the pilot program.  This training has allowed me to work closely with our son's therapists over the years.  It has given me insight into their methods and his needs that I might not have had.  It was by chance that I entered the world of corrections education and behavior modification.  Without those experiences, and my masters in curriculum and instruction, I might not have the understanding needed to ask the questions needed to help my son.  This training has been invaluable as we have become enmeshed in the world of formal education, special education, and school age therapy services. 

I am grateful for a job that stimulates and challenges me.  No two days are ever the same and it's definitely never boring.  Most days, I feel like I am making a difference in the lives of my girls.  I feel like working with my girls has taught me the patience and the skills needed to help me deal with my son and his needs.  There are also days that I feel that he is better preparing me to deal with them.  Isn't it funny how life doesn't give us what we want or expect, but rather what we need? 

 Finally, I am thankful for the love and support of family and friends.  We definitely wouldn't be where we are today without them.  Our church family has prayed for us every step of the way.  Family, and our neighbors that have adopted us as family, have been there to watch the boys and give us a break from time to time; provide moral support; and even help transport our son to therapy sessions and appointments at the hospital.  Friends and family have learned to administer breathing treatments and medication.  They have listened and laughed and cried with us through the good times and the bad.  I am grateful every day for their continued presence in our lives.

Lord, I know these are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the blessings you have provided.  There are more than I could put into words.  Please continue to watch over us as we continue this journey.  Guide on the path you would like us to follow.  All things are possible through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment